The CLDA is building a partnership that provides networking, educational and future opportunities with Universities that have specialized programs in the logistics, business and entrepreneurship fields of study. Our goal is to identify institutions of higher learning that have students and programs that would benefit from a mutual relationship with the largest final mile association in the United States. Our intention is to create opportunities to meet at our yearly conference that is held across the U.S., and to provide opportunities for students and faculty to attend our event and participate throughout one day.
The first opportunity for students to engage with this industry is the CLDA NextGen Logistics Challenge. The purpose of the NextGen Logistics Challenge is designed to inspire college students to promote, innovate and revolutionize the first/final mile industry. It will also provide new perspectives on the obstacles and opportunities within the industry. Members of the winning team will receive a 120 hour internship at a CLDA Member company.
Requirements and Application: Submit an abstract stating the problem your team plans to solve and the proposed technology(ies) to apply for solving the problem no later than Friday, March 11, 2022 using this entry form.
- Successful entry must include a description of a problem in the first/final mile industry and describe how you would apply an emerging technology to solve it.
- Problems could pertain to business processes, single-use packaging, labor, climate change or sustainability, or warehousing. Read example problems here.
- Technologies to consider include AI, IOT, blockchain, renewable energy technologies, automation, reusable packaging or nearly any other technology.
- Finalists will present their solutions virtually to a panel of judges on Friday, April 15, 2022 (winners announced the following week).
- Team presentations will follow the PechaKucha format of 20 slides with a maximum of 20 seconds per slide (total of 6 minutes 40 seconds).
Judging: Winners will be judged by the panel of judges representing the First/Final mile industry on the following criteria.
- Communication and how well the problem is defined.
- How well the solution is explained.
- How well researched are the problem and the solution.
- How the solution impacts cost, quality, or performance measures.
- How feasible or realistic is the proposed solution.
- Quality of project presentation, integrity of analysis (professional, clear, on time)
The top three teams will be invited to attend CLDA’s 2022 Final Mile Forum & Expo (FMF) in Miami, FL at the Grand Hyatt. The NextGen Challenge is scheduled for Thursday, June 30, 2022. In addition to the Challenge, teams are welcome to attend the Thursday educational sessions and visit the trade show floor to meet with exhibitors displaying the latest technology and services in the industry. Meals provided to FMF event attendees will also be provided to participating teams.
Awards: Members of the winning team will receive a 120 hour internship at a CLDA Member company.
Eligibility: Any college students who are currently enrolled in school part-time or full-time through the 2021-2022 academic year or beyond can participate. Proof of current enrollment may be requested by the CLDA.